General Information for Intern and Volunteer Abroad Programs
We have volunteer abroad, intern abroad, language study, cultural immersion, and gap year programs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
For our international program participants, we provide:
- Accommodation and Meals
- Program Orientation
- Work Placement for Volunteers/Interns
- Hotline for Local Support
Most of our partner organizations also arrange regular cultural/social activities to help you enjoy your time abroad.
- We have programs in both urban and rural locations in Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Tanzania, Nepal, China, Ecuador, and Mexico.
- You can start your intern or volunteer abroad program any week of the year with enough advanced notice. Please note that only certain days of the week may be available for program orientation, so please check with us before you book your flight. We do not recommend that travelers book flight before getting the position confirmed.
- We would recommend that you apply at least 1 month before your arrival, but last minute applications can often be accepted as long as there is still a position available.
- Since space is limited and certain positions may take more time to arrange, we recommend that participants apply as early as possible to avoid being shifted to another project or another location. We have arranged programs in the past with only 2 days’ notice, but it is not recommended since some positions may be filled up and last minute applications can cause stress to everyone.
- The volunteer abroad and culture/language immersion programs have duration of 1 week to 6 months. (In Nepal, it is maximum 5 months at one time.)
- The intern abroad programs last for periods of 1 month to 6 months.
- You may extend your stay with advanced notice, but extra fees may apply and positions may be taken by others.
Our affordable program fees start from USD$180 (for 1 week) to USD$2300 (for 6 months). Some projects/locations may have a surcharge. For detailed information regarding relevant fees and other costs, please click here.
For certain specially discounted programs, if you meet our more strict requirements and are committed to your work, the program fees can possibly be reduced to $99 (for 1 week) to $2199 (for 6 months). (Special terms and conditions from specific work places may apply. Please ask us for more details if you are interested in participating in these discounted programs. Please note that these special programs have limited availability and limited flexibility.).
Also, certain work placements and certain locations may require a surcharge since they are harder or more costly to arrange. Participants are fully responsible for any surcharges and transaction costs. Feel free to email us for a quote if you want to be clear about any applicable surcharges for your required project and destination country.
Total Payment = Program Fee + Enrollment Fee (plus transaction costs and any surcharges)
- As meals and accommodation are both included, you don’t need to expect to spend much money at all. Some volunteers find US$30 is enough for weekly personal expense, but this figure can vary largely depending on your personal spending habit and whether you plan to take tours.
Work Schedule for Volunteers/Interns
- Whether you want to work part time or full time, we try our best to customize your work schedule according to your needs. Some work choices may allow flexible work schedule, while others can be less flexible.
Work Placements for Volunteers/Interns Abroad
We have the following international internship and volunteer abroad work placements available:
- Orphanage Work or Street Children Work
- Caregiving for the Children/Elderly/Disabled
- Community Development or Women’s Empowerment
- Sharing Your Skills
- Medical or Healthcare Work
- HIV/AIDS Work
- Teaching Children
- Teaching English or Computer Skills
- Sports Education
- Special Education
- Wildlife or Animal Work
- Journalism or Photography Work
- Architectural or Construction Work
- Business Coaching or Marketing
- Micro-Finance Work
- Agricultue and Farming
Please note that not all work choices are available at all locations. More projects may be possible to arrange upon request.
- Age Requirement: You can apply on your own if you are 18 years or over at the start of the program. For participants who are 15-17 years old at the start of the program, it is possible to enroll if the legal guardian gives permission and signs our waiver form to waive our liability. If you are of age 15-17 years old and have a very anxious parent, then you are advised to volunteer together with an adult family or friend to supervise you and give your parent a peace of mind. For a 15-17 year old participant to go alone, he/she should be mature enough for this experience and he/she is expected to behave like an 18 year old since this is not a baby-sitting experience.
- Language Requirement: You must be able to speak English. (Also, for Latin America, at least basic Spanish is strongly recommended.)
- Cooperation and Adaptability: You should be able to work well with others, including people who are quite different from yourself. Also, you should be able to adapt to foreign environments, other cultures, and new situations. There is a need for international volunteers and interns to be cooperative and flexible. This is team work and the success of doing a project abroad also depends on you.
- Be Respectful, Flexible, and Willing to Learn
- Have a Positive Attitude and an Open Mind
- Provide Regular Email Feedback for Evaluation Purposes
- Note: Some positions may require volunteers/interns have relevant training or certification.
- You can apply in a matter of minutes online at https://www.crosscontinental.org/enroll-online/.
- If you want your application to be processed without delay, you should send the enrollment fee USD$290 plus 5% transaction fee over PayPal to our PayPal account email@example.com. Initial confirmation process typically takes less than 2 business days, but it may take longer for some projects. (If you are not accepted into the program, the fee paid less transaction fee will be returned to you over PayPal. If you are accepted, the enrollment fee immediately becomes non-refundable due to the effort of processing your application and making initial arrangements.)
- When we get the initial program confirmation from our regional managers, we will request the required documents, including your clear passport scan in color, resume/CV in word (with your education, work experience, languages, and skills), a recent picture of yourself, and the completed waiver form (if you are from 15 to 18 years old).
- Enrollment fee is due at the time of application. Remaining fees (such as program fee and applicable surcharges) will be due 3 months before planned start date so that arrangements can be finalized.
- Payment Methods for Remaining Payments: You can pay us by credit/debit card over PayPal, online banking email money transfer, or TransferWise.com. Please note that you may not get the final program confirmation until the payment or at least the required deposit is received on our end. Sometimes you may be required to pay the first payment to us and then pay the final payment to our local partner staff after arrival or before arrival. Our local partners may not be able to process credit card payment. The participants are responsible for all transaction costs and applicable taxes.