Environmental and Conservation
There are several environmental projects and they includes
- Forest restoration by converting forest into farm
- Collection of variety of seeds in the community seed source
- Collection of native forest seed to help in the development of handicraft
- Creating a marketable environment for the buying and selling of products from farms
- To help enhance the skills of scientist and students in research activity
There are also opportunities for volunteers and interns to initiate their own projects.
The main aim of this project is to provide a nice environment for researchers and scientist to take advantage of. A wide trail system, a large protected bay, perfect beaches, high densities of many groups of earthly, and sea animals makes this an ideal setting for high school, college, and graduate students to conduct their class or thesis research trip. This project is to promote sustainable management of natural resources among local community members through upkeep efforts.
Natural Forest Conservation Projects
This project is to help in preserving the biodiversity of the cloud forest and protect the local watersheds. The project does this by reforestation, monitoring human activities and its impact on environmental education.
Volunteers and interns may be involved in these activities:
- Forestry program (restoring degraded areas and sustainable wood production),
- Sustainable agriculture
- Community involvement
- Eco-construction (environmentally-friendly building practices)
- Environmental education.
No particular skills are needed, but prospective volunteers should have an interest in conservation of the forest.
This project will need the volunteers to assist for a period of one to six months. This project will include volunteers involved in;
- The re-vegetation of hillsides using native plants to reduce erosion and create habitats
- Promoting the use of sustainable practices
- Renewable energy development
- And environmental education
An interest in ecological sustainability and knowledge of regional plants is helpful, but not necessary. A strong interest and a desire to help restore a damaged biosphere are the most important requirements.
Roles of Volunteers and Interns
Individuals who join this project have the opportunity to learn and research about trees, the environment, landscape, watering of new trees, helping to stop deforestation, and helping in the protection and restoration of landscapes or rainforest.
This will also mean that there will be a connection between the Eco and Environmental Experts and the volunteers in raising community awareness on conservation of the forest and the environmental ecosystem through movement and education, form and train community-based youth associations from forest conservation measures, survey the native plants and bird species of the highlands with active participation of the community.
As a volunteer in this project, you would be expected to involve with the following activities.
- Tree Nursery
- Picking of seedlings
- Filling of the seed bags
- Watering of the nursery
- Fetching of water
Qualification and Skills
There is no special qualification for this project.